Have you ever wondered how you can get those crisp, perfect painted stripes on your wall? Have you tried to create a great striped wall and failed? Why did the paint bleed under the tape? What went wrong?
I’m here to share a secret…
It’s a lot easier than you think! But, there is a process…
Let me use the feature wall in my home office/craft room to share the tricks.
I painted the entire room with Valspar’s Du Jour and chose Valspar’s Woodlawn Colonial Gray for the stripes. It’s a great gray and makes the striped feature wall really stand out.
~Get Perfect Painted Stripes~
- Step on is to give the entire wall a good coverage of your base coat.
- The next thing to do is some calculations. My wall is 9 ft tall. I decided to make each stripe 12 inches. Figure out where each stripe ends and begins. When your calculations are ready, grab your painter’s tape.
- Obviously, you need to make sure your taped stripes are perfectly straight. I used a level to create pencil marks. I made several along the width of the wall for each stripe. Once my pencil marks were made, I made sure my tape lined up with them.
- Another thing to keep in mind is that you will want to pay attention to whether your tape goes above or below the pencil marks. For example, for the gray stripes, the tape will be above the top pencil line and below the bottom line. This will give you the full 12 inches of a gray stripe. So, the tape will sit inside the white stripe…Does that make sense? Just be sure you have a full 12 inches of each stripe.
- The next secret is to paint over the tape line with the base color. This seals the tape edge, creating a barrier so that the stripe color will not seep under the tape. *This is a key step!
- After you have painted your base color along the edge of the tape, you will then go back and paint your stripes. Paint between you taped edge, over the base color.
- Before the stripe paint has completely dried, remove the painter’s tape carefully. Pull the tape toward the painted stripe. Remove carefully and you should find the perfect painted stripes.
Creating perfect painted stripes are easy and can give any room an amazing look. It’s fresh yet classic. Follow the steps, level your tape and have fun creating a beautiful feature wall in your home.
Get the latest posts delivered straight to your inbox for free!