~One of Our Favorite Traditions~
Each year, the kids and I spend an entire day making Christmas cookies. It’s an all day event with flour and sugar flying everywhere. We pull out the recipe box and the cookbooks and pick which cookies we want to make. We grab the cookie cutters and stock the pantry. It’s our very own Christmas Cookie Day.
This year we made the traditional sugar cookies but we also tried a few new recipes from Taste of Home’s 2003 Christmas Cookies recipe book.
Our favorite from this year’s batch were these adorable Neapolitan Cookies. They’re a layered cookie with an almond flavored layer, a layer with walnuts added and a chocolate layer.
I’m including the recipe for the Neapolitan Cookies from the Taste of Home 2003 Christmas Cookies recipe book. I’ll share more of the cookie recipes later in the week. They’re not just for Christmas…they’d be great for New Year’s too!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 6 drops red liquid food coloring
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- Line a loaf pan with waxed paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Divide the dough into thirds.
- Add the almond extract and the food coloring to one portion.
- Spread that layer into the bottom of the loaf pan.
- Add the walnuts to the second portion and spread evenly onto the first layer.
- Add the melted chocolate to the third portion and spread evenly onto the second layer.
- Cover with waxed paper and refrigerate overnight.
- Cut the loaf in half lengthwise.
- Cut each half into ⅛ inch slices.
- Place the slices 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until edges are firm.
- Place on wire racks to cool.
Have a Very Merry Christmas!
Get the latest posts delivered straight to your inbox for free!