Fabric Covered Headboard
Don’t you just love a fabric covered headboard? Of course, we all do! We just don’t like the price! Let me show you how I made this beautiful headboard for my daughter’s room at our vacation home, for about $40!
I had thought that we were going to do a twin bed in this bedroom, so when I stumbled upon this at Restore one day for $10, my first thought was “yes!” (to the size and price, not the fabric!)
It’s a beauty, isn’t it?!?!?! Yuck!…that’s layer #1….this is layer #2!
I’m not sure which is worst!!!
Then, we decided to do a full size bed. So I had to get a little creative…(sorry I don’t have pictures of the next steps.)
I did some measuring and realized that if I attached a 2×8 to each side of the existing headboard, it would be the perfect size for a full. So with some wood glue and staples, I did just that. Then I took a piece of plywood and attached it, with staples, to the entire frame. If you notice, there is a couple of scallops at the top of the twin headboard. I positioned the plywood so that it was just below the decorative trim at the top, that way I could keep that decorative edge.
Once the plywood was secured, I determined where I wanted to place my buttons to form the tufting. Once I had measured and marked where each button would go, I simply drilled holes in each spot.
I then took some 2″ foam and attached it to the plywood with spray adhesive. On top of the foam, I applied batting, pulling it over the edges of the plywood and the top decorative edge. I attached the batting with staples as well.
For the fabric, I found a curtain panel at Pier1 for $9.98. It was 54″ wide and 84″ long, which was perfect! Using a button covering kit from Hancock Fabrics, I made my buttons using leftovers from my fabric. Making the buttons using the kit is so easy! Pick one up today!
I positioned the fabric on the headboard and attached it at the top, bottom and sides, with one staple. I then attached the buttons. Using a long upholstery needle and strong thread, I entered each button-hole from the back of the headboard. This allowed me to see where I would need to place each button on the front. I then re-entered the button-hole from the front of the headboard. After putting the needle through and exiting the button-hole, I had to pull to create the tufting. I tied a knot and secured it to the back of the headboard with another staple. Once all of my buttons were on and secured, I then went back and secured the remainder of the fabric around the headboard. I made sure to pull the fabric taut to get a good snug, tight fit.
This is the result…
Amazing that it went from that ugly little twin headboard to this gorgeous full size! The tufting adds so much and is really not hard at all!
This high-end look is easy to achieve and well worth the time. It would be so easy to change the fabric as well. You could also do it with or without the tufting!
It’s a look that’s heads above the rest!
You are always Welcome at My House!
Stay informed of new inspirations, projects & exciting news.
Click below and subscribe to House on the Way…